Kids Front and Center at 2017 Convention
By Carol McGinnis Summer 2017
With TCA stepping up its efforts to provide meaningful opportunities for young people to gain an appreciation of our hobby, the Fort Pitt Division went out of its way to provide a wonderful program for kids and teens.
Some of the carefully-planned events for kids at the convention included the following:
- Kids Club Tour – Board a Just Ducky boat for a ride around Pittsburgh followed by a visit to the Carnegie Science Center to see the Miniature Railroad and Village, then visit the home of two of our Kids Club members to see their layout and collection. End the tour with a ride on Pittsburgh’s light rail subway back to the hotel.
- Scenery workshop – Learn from the best in the business how to make your layout come to life with scenery.
- Train races – bring your fastest engine or race ones from our stock.
- Layout design & build – work together to design and build a special layout using equipment we have supplied. Build a car & water tower – kit bash a special ‘Pittsburgh’ car and build a water tower for your display.
- Add LED lights to diecast cars workshop – add some sparkle to your layout by adding LED headlights and taillights to your vehicles.
- Switching layout – test your skills as you assemble a train by switching cars from different sidings.
- DCS, LionChief Remote workshop – learn to use power and control your trains, ranging from conventional transformers to various types of remote systems.
- Weathering workshop – take your buildings from that clean plastic look to ones that look like they have been altered by the forces of nature.
- Special Kids Club Banquet Car for all who attend the banquet.
View the pictures below, which tell thousands of words about our future!
Special thanks to Tom Garrity, Kimberly Moore, and Jane Merando for their efforts in this wonderful accomplishment; and to the rest of the Fort Pitt team as well as Tammy Hersh, George Starz and Kevin Quinn for providing photos.